Please assign one of the following roles to each member of your group. If you have 5 people, you should have either 2 explorers or 2 skeptics.
If you have only 3 people, ask one person to be both skeptic and explorer.
- Directs sequence of steps
- Keeps group "on track"
- Insures all participate
- Checks the time
- Explores the meaning of the question
- Suggests ways of answering the question
- Ensures all possibilities are explored
- Helps group avoid coming to agreement too quickly
- Suggests alternative ideas
- Looks for errors in reasoning
- Acts as a scribe for the group
- Checks for understanding by all
- Insures all members agree
- Summarizes conclusions
Note that in the following exercise, the words heliocentric
and geocentric refer to viewpoints rather than the specific models
discussed in the text. The geocentric perspective is the view from Earth
looking up into the southern sky, while the heliocentric
perspective is the view of the Solar System looking down from above. Don't